Thursday, January 21, 2010

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

Plot: well-known scientist and professor, Pierre Aronnax, and his servant and loyal companion, Conseil, embark on a journey to locate and destroy a mysterious monster that has been haunting the seas. However, when their steamer engages in battle with the sea monster and the two are knocked overboard along with the harpoonist Ned Land, they come face-to-face with the monster - and it's the last thing they expected.

Comments: I remembered watching the movie Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea a long time ago when I saw this old classic quietly lounging on the shelf. However, the only part I remember from the movie is who I now recognize as Ned Land choking on his food after being told is was "octopus pudding", or some other dish unlikely to be made of octopus. I think I'll rent the movie and watch it again, to compare it with the book. If I do (not likely - I'll probably forget about it the moment I post this), I'll be sure to update this and discuss the differences and similarities.

I love classics. I do consider Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea a classic, but my general definition of the term "classic book" is pretty much limited to "old book", so maybe I'm not technically correct. In any case, one thing I love about classics is the way they are written (and my definition fits well in its purpose, because I love the older, more formal way of writing). The formal, polite speech (excepting Ned land), the (sometimes tedious) meticulously described settings, everything so organized and official and correct. Though I must admit, I often skimmed paragraphs in this book, sometimes even whole pages, bored with the names, descriptions, and classifications of the wildlife so thoroughly cataloged. I also did not particularly enjoy reading through all the math and science calculations and discussions, but then, I suppose the entire book is meant more as an intellectual one.

The plot is like none I've ever read - though I already knew the general concept when I began reading it, giving me an unshakable feeling of de ja vu - and the story is completely original. I don't know how Jules Verne thought this up, but it is a masterpiece of creativity, of imagination. The descriptions of the characters make it easy for me to build up an image of them in my mind, though it feels strange, the way the characters interact. It all seems very posed, very scripted. I do, however, recognize that this is, in my own terms, a classic, and this could very well be how people were when the book was written. This story causes the mind to open up and wonder at everything we take for granted in our modern world.

Rating: I rate this book a six and three-fourths out of ten.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting definition of "classic." I haven't read Verne in ages. Have you read anything else by him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't. What other kinds of books does he have? Is there a sequel to Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea?

    ReplyDelete