Thursday, January 21, 2010

The King of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Note: book 3 in the series. First is The Thief, then The Queen of Attolia, next is The King of Attolia, and finally, A Conspiracy of Kings (out April 2010).

Plot: Eugenides is now king of Attolia, and he seems to be having trouble adjusting. The Queen's Guard resents his marriage to their beloved queen, and Eugenides must find a way to prove to them how capable and worthy he is of his new title. But will he have an "accident" before he can win over the Guard?

Comments: This is my favorite book yet! I actually read this immediately after reading The Thief (since I accidentally read The Queen of Attolia first), and comparing the three books, I can confidently say that I liked this one the best.Though this book didn't completely focus on Eugenides, I loved his character (as ever) and the way he fooled everyone into thinking he was a stupid, weak king. His schemes are so complicated that only at the end do you realize just how much detail went into his plans, how easy it would have been for everything to mess up.

I like the new main character (in addition to the king), Costis. He seems good-natured (excusing a *ahem* slight mishap in the beginning of the story), he's funny, loyal, hard-working, and after a while, he becomes one of the few people to respect the king. I think the way the king treats him is a little rude, though some may argue that it's within his right - because of his royalty and the "slight mishap" I mentioned. I like how he eventually comes to know and honor the king, though the rest of the Guard despises him. I appreciate his insight and how he can see what other cannot.

Once again, the sheer wit keeps me laughing and the twisting, unpredictable plot keeps me interested. I can't wait for the next book to come out, A Conspiracy of Kings! Though if Eugenides is not a main character, I will be extremely disappointed, and may even boycott the book altogether...

Rating: I shall rate this book a seven and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment