Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Nation by Terry Pratchett

Plot: a young boy is the only survivor in his village (and the whole island) after a huge tsunami strikes. He soon meets a young European girl whose ship was washed ashore during the storm, and she is also the only survivor. Soon, survivors of the tsunami come from other islands, trying to find somewhere safe from the cannibal Raiders. Everyone must work together to create a new life, a new home, a new future.

Comments: I really enjoyed reading this book, and I think it's a great read. Probably best for reading a few chapters at a time (I would have read it all at once, but it's a bit too large for that). Try reading it on a weekend, maybe. I was surprised that the author of this book is Terry Pratchett, simply because it didn't seem like something he would write. I don't mean that he should only write certain kinds of books - definitely not! I just mean that I've read a lot of other books by Terry Pratchett, and they seem more fantasy books, while this seems all very real. Anyways, the plot of this story was unlike any I've read before. It's original and very creative. I love the tremendous detail Pratchett puts into all the religion and culture of the natives!

The characters are not necessarily easy to relate to, as most of them are natives and have a completely different way of thinking, talking, and in general, living. But I can imagine them pretty well, even how they look. I like how everyone adapts to the situation fast, taking charge or obeying orders quick as you please. A tsunami is hard to get over, but working together, the "Nation" gets life as back to normal as it could get, given the circumstances. I understood the ending and appreciated Pratchett's honesty about life and the world. I didn't necessarily like it at first, but I'm glad the last bit is rather long, so that I could get used to the idea and realize it fit the story.

Rating: I shall rate this book a seven out of ten. A great read!

No comments:

Post a Comment