Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gideon the Cutpurse by Linda Buckley-Archer

Book one in the Time Quake Trilogy

Plot: modern day kids Peter and Kate, different as could be, are accidentally transported to the 18th century by a mishap with an anti-gravity machine. They are completely baffled and have no idea what just happened and where they were. However, they do know that they need to get the anti-gravity machine back from a notorious thief named the Tar Man. A young man named Gideon makes their acquaintance and helps them find their way to a nearby city, where they attempt to track down the thief. Will Kate and Peter get back to the 21st century, or will they be stuck in the 1700's for the rest of their lives?

Comments: this book was fun and an interesting adventure, but I'm not sure why the title is focused on Gideon. Really, he wasn't in it much, and the main characters were Peter and Kate. That had me kind of confused, because when the book started talking about Gideon, I thought "aha! Here comes the main character!" but it kept focusing on the two kids. After a bit I realized my mistake, and started paying more attention to the time-travelers. The characters are extremely easy to imagine, especially the scornful looks Sidney dishes out, and the booming laugh of the friendly parson. Though I don't know much about England in the 1700's, it's rather simple to picture the streets and carriages and clothes as the story unfolds.

The plot is an original one, and it's a very nice effect to show what's happening back in the 21st century as Peter and Kate cope in the 18th. I think the story focused more on Kate's parents, however, or at least her dad. True, he was discovering things he didn't want the police to know, things that were important for getting Kate and Peter back, but it felt like in most scenes, Peter's parents are worried and upset in the background as Kate's dad is the main focus. Just saying. The ending was unexpected (though I guess I should have realized something of the sort would happen, as how else would the trilogy continue?) but fitting. I mean, it made sense, and I can't wait to read the next book, The Time Thief!

Rating: I'm rating this book a six and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment