Friday, February 8, 2013

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

First Line: "The man billed as Prospero the Enchanter receives a fair amount of correspondence via the theater office, but this is the first envelope addressed to him that contains a suicide note, and it is also the first to arrive carefully pinned to the coat of a five-year-old girl."

Plot: Two young enchanters are trained from their childhoods to compete against one another in a seemingly endless game of magics. Meanwhile, from the minds of strange but brilliant people, the night circus is born - an unbelievably fantastical marvel that appears suddenly at locations around the world, open only at night. The circus becomes the enchanters' battleground as they try to discover the way to win and as they grow closer together.

Comments: The Night Circus is a spectacular novel filled with innocent wonder and harsh but realistic circumstances. Throughout the mystery, the characters play along in a way that makes you think perhaps they know what's really going on. Many questions are never answered, but in this case it makes sense for the atmosphere of the story.

I loved the stories of Celia and Marco, the competing enchanters. In the beginning I was very confused because I mistook Isobel for Celia, but it straightened out soon enough. Isobel and Marco's relationship was never quite clear to me. However, Celia's relationship with Marco was delightful. The way everyone spoke felt so grand and old-fashioned. Celia in particular was my favorite. A curious part of the story is that though there were main characters, you could not often see into their minds very easily.

The idea of the circus and the mysterious awe surrounding it were amazing. Though some descriptions fell flat for me, I did enjoy much of the detailed and bold prose painting pictures of the scenes. I wish I could visit such a circus someday.

I read this book as fast as I could because it was so intriguing and suspenseful. Time passed jerkily for me, because the dates written at the beginning of the chapters would not easily organize in my mind after the first dozen. Despite this, the story progressed smoothly and beautifully.

The ending seemed too easy. I certainly enjoy a happy ending myself, but it was perhaps a bit unbelievably convenient. But I wish the circus members luck regardless.

Rating: I rate The Night Circus a nine out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment