Monday, February 6, 2012

Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper

Plot: Gwen Cooper adopts an eyeless kitten she names Homer, and his determination to live life spectacularly changes her own life forever.

Comments: While this was a cute story about an inspiring cat, before I started reading I didn't realize how much of an autobiography Homer's Odyssey really is. I liked reading about Homer's shenanigans and various mischiefs. He was endearingly high maintenance. However, the autobiographical elements in the story were somewhat less than captivating. Oftentimes I skipped whole paragraphs of the author pondering the meaning of life. Frankly, her abstract musings bored me and had no place in a story supposedly about an inspiring cat.

It's true that Gwen Cooper's firsthand perspective of the terrorist attack on September 11th was intriguing. Yet I maintain that, having believed the book to be centered upon the cat Homer before I began reading, the life of the author was not terribly interesting to me. Homer's story was, nevertheless, uplifting.

Rating: I rate Homer's Odyssey a six out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment