Sunday, November 27, 2011

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel

Plot: Tita and Pedro are madly in love, but Tita, as the youngest daughter, is bound by family tradition to spend her life taking care of her mother. Pedro marries Tita's sister in order to stay close to Tita and their forbidden romance continues. Throughout the story, Tita uses her cooking to express her tangled emotions.

Comments: This story was unlike any I've ever read. A persevering romance despite seemingly insurmountable odds, Tita and Pedro's story is astounding in its complexity and unexpected twists. Like Water for Chocolate was, however, more focused on sex than I had anticipated. Nevertheless, this is an intriguing novel using recipes and food as a theme to help invoke certain emotions. As for the characters, poor Tita had a harsh life and I felt sorry for her, but I didn't see much evidence of Pedro's love for Tita.

Occasionally the events were confusingly anachronistic, and sometimes characters involved in scenes had never been introduced, causing yet more confusion. Despite this, the story is simple to read and comprehend, yet not so easy to understand. Unless you have experienced the feelings these characters have, it can be difficult to empathize and understand their actions, as it was for me. In addition, Like Water for Chocolate unexpectedly included elements I would describe as magic, supernatural, or just unrealistic. Though these elements meshed well with the dreaminess of the story, I feel as if they were somewhat cheesy and forced. They reduced the dignity of the novel in my eyes. The ending especially made me roll my eyes.

Overall, Like Water for Chocolate was a good story about Tita and Pedro, young lovers forbidden to marry.

Rating: I rate this story an eight out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment