Monday, November 8, 2010

The Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

Plot: when the Hogfather (the Ankh-Morpork version of Santa Claus, Jolly Ol' Saint Nick, Kris Kringle, etc.) vanishes mysteriously, Death steps in to fill the role. Though he is not the most jolly - for lack of a better word - being, Death begins to enjoy handing out presents, flying around the city, and, in general, being the Hogfather. Then Death's granddaughter Susan gets dragged into the situation and has to figure out what happened to the true Hogfather and how to get him back. Good luck.

Comments: I would consider this to be one of Terry Pratchett's best stories. The Hogfather is hilarious, absurd, and also rather touching. Pratchett excels at satirical humor, and apparently enjoys poking fun at the human existence (which, if you stop to think about it, has some very funny aspects). This book made me laugh so many times, I lost count! I love Pratchett's sharp wit and one-liners that make you say "What?" and reread the past few sentences to fully understand the concept.

My favorite character is definitely Death. He's so adorably clueless and oblivious, but you can tell that his heart (metaphorically, of course) is in the right place. Susan reprimands him like he's a child, and in some ways, he is. Pratchett created Death spectacularly, and I guarantee you'll love him. He fits right into the abstract, random plot. I must warn you that this book basically doesn't have a point, and though it has a start and ending, I wouldn't exactly say it has a beginning or conclusion. You'll see what I mean. But the story is so charmingly awkward that it all works in the end.

The only thing I didn't really like was Susan's character. She wasn't really the nicest person, so reading about her wasn't very fun. The circumstances were still hilarious, and she was definitely a strong character, but maybe a little more human next time?

Rating: I rate this book a nine out of ten. It was awesome. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment