Friday, October 29, 2010

Soul Enchilada by David Macinnis Gill

Plot: spunky young woman Bug is doing okay in life; she has an apartment that she barely manages to pay for, a job as a maniac driver for a pizzeria, and she is still in possession of her soul. This all quickly changes when Bug meets Beal, a demonic (literally) car repossessing agent, who demands her vintage Cadillac passed down from her grandfather. Oh, and he wants her soul, too. Joining teams with Pesto, the cute boy at the car wash, Bug sets out to beat the Devil and get her life back.

Comments: This book in one word: sassy. I loved Bug! She has the biggest attitude I have ever seen, and she has absolutely no tolerance for anyone else's attitudes. Constantly talking smack and threatening to beat people's [butts*], she don't take lip from no one. I had never before heard the slur "coyote", but it's used a lot in this book. Bug won't allow anyone to walk away intact after calling her that, and I love that she stands up for herself like that. She doesn't need rescuing, and I appreciate the strong female character. The only thing I didn't like was that though Bug was tough and self-sufficient, she would scream a lot and act helpless and wimpy. It was like there were two different Bugs, and it got annoying.

The impersonation of the Devil was interesting, and I think Mr. Gill pulled it off very well. Slick and cultured, Lucifer felt to me like the real deal. The warring between the demons was funny, a sibling-like rivalry. The whole plot was funny, really. There were a lot of weird things thrown in, things that must have taken some thought to come up with. For example, why a pizza delivery girl? And how did he come up with names like Pesto and Vinnie (Bug's boss) - and Bug, for that matter. I'm not entirely sure where this is taking place (not paying attention to setting details always comes back and bites me), so maybe some of the things are part of the culture there. In any case, it's a fun read and I definitely recommend it!

Rating: I rate this book a seven and a half out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment