Monday, June 28, 2010

Vanishing Girl by Shane Peacock

Book three in the Boy Sherlock Holmes series. Click here for book four.

Plot: the young Sherlock Holmes is back, and his third case is the most confusing yet. The daughter of one of the most powerful men in the city has been kidnapped - and there is no ransom note! No trace of the girl has been left behind, but Sherlock believes he can find her before the police, or his archenemy, Malevolent, and his band of ruffians.

Comments: when I first started reading this series - did I post the second and third books? No, I guess I haven't. The first book is called Eye of the Crow and the second is called Death in the Air. Both were good, better than this one. I think I like Death in the Air best. Anyway, when I first started reading this series, Sherlock was an innocent, curious boy. A little odd, but a good boy. Now, by the third book, I don't like him anymore. He's rather obsessed with showing up the police and Malevolent, to the point that it gets boring. There's a girl, a well-off girl named Irene, that he met in the first book. At first, I liked her too, but I hated her in this book! She was once a good friend of Sherlock's, but now she has chosen to side with Malevolent, a scheming criminal - and yet Sherlock still wants to get her back, even though she uses him to get what she wants. She used to be innocent, too, and now she's a conniving brat.

The story was original, but I didn't particularly enjoy it, mostly because I have no affection for the characters anymore. I'm afraid that's all I can think of right now. The first two books were good, so I do recommend you read those. At the end of this book, Sherlock seemed to go through a change, and I think he'll be better in the next book. I haven't read the fourth book yet, but I'm planning on it, and I'll let you know if it's worth it to read the third book.

Rating: I rate this book a five and a half out of ten. Barely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment