Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Plot: when a one-person plane goes down in the middle of the desert, the last thing the pilot expected to hear was "If you please-draw me a sheep!" This is the story of the Little Prince and his planet, his flower, and his life.

Comments: Alright, this isn't a novel, but I couldn't not tell people about it! It's not a comic book, but though it has some nice pictures (drawn by the author), it has too many words to be a picture book. I'll call it a storybook.

This story is so sweet and cute, but it is not an adorable little story about a little boy on a little planet. It is an inspiring, wise story, with amazing views of life and love. The child's perspective of "grown-ups" is somewhat amusing, but also very true. This story talks about the busy, important tasks adults always seem to be involved with, and how complicated adults seem to be able to make everything. The book says that adults can't see the beauty in things and need facts and numbers to appreciate anything - though a child could tell you this is not true appreciation.

I love the imaginative plot and simple yet elegant descriptions! Disguised as a child's storybook - though it is definitely not - you learn about life lessons and think about life. Reading this story, I asked myself questions and wondered about things as I haven't in a while. I feel like one of the "grown-ups" in the story, rushing everywhere and losing sight of life as it should be.

Rating: I shall rate this book an eight and a half out of ten. I strongly recommend this book to everyone! Don't say it's too easy or too simple - it has more insight than many large books I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment