Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King

Plot: Teenager Vera Dietz has been in love with her best friend Charlie for years. She's also kept a lot of his secrets. When Charlie dies, Vera is haunted by his ghost because she's the only one who can clear his name. But does she even want to after what he did to her?

Comments: Please Ignore Vera Dietz is a spectacular young adult's novel. Vera is easy to fall in love with and feels like a real person. Her sarcastic voice and the experiences she struggles to accept create a realistic teenager. I loved her use of school vocabulary words.

I really liked the way in which the story was told - from different perspectives at times, and with vignettes from different periods of time, all revealing some aspect of the past. It was a fun and new way to look at things.

The story dealt with some very real teenage issues. Sometimes this was hard to read, because I hated some of the choices Vera made and I wanted her to be smarter, better than that. But in reality, even smart teenagers make stupid choices. So in retrospect, I'm glad King made Vera an imperfect character because that's the only type of person in the real world. But that didn't stop me from yelling at Vera in my head throughout certain parts of the book.

It all came together well. Loose ends were tied up but not unrealistically neatly. Life went on and the past was forgiven. It was a sweet ending to a tumultuous story. Also a little bit heartbreaking. I think many people can relate to the emotions and events in this book.

Rating: I rate Please Ignore Vera Dietz a nine out of ten. It was a good story of grief and forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment